Saturday, September 7, 2013

Let it ECHO's Garage Sale

In 2011, I was around 5 months pregnant when a routine ultrasound revealed that there's a possible cyst in my unborn child's left kidney. That got me worried, but I forced myself not to dwell on it too much. After all, stressing myself out might cause further problems.

image from http://emedicine.medscape.com
A few weeks after my son's birth, we learned that my son has solitary kidney. His left kidney was missing in action. I got overwhelmed by emotions. Fear. Guilt. Anger. You name it. But the worst emotion was really guilt-I spent hours thinking what I might have done during my pregnancy. For months, I became too paranoid. I would stay awake just to check on my son's breathing. In short, I became paranoid.

And then last year, I saw a friend's post on Facebook. Her son, who is just months younger than Lucho, was diagnosed with a congenital heart disease. Tetralogy of Fallot, to be specific. And they needed to raise 1 million pesos within three months so that Maven can have the much needed surgery. To set things in motion, they created a Facebook page called Maven's Heart Fund.



Nahimasmasan. That's  how I described my reaction to the news. Compared to them, my problem seems too small. That led to a shift in perspective. I realized that instead of drowning myself with guilt, I should focus my effort on other things. Like help others in whatever way I can.

You have to admire Maven's parents, Hannah and Kristoffer. They did not give up easily. And their hard work and perseverance paid off. A year ago, Maven's surgery was a success.
The many faces of Maven. (Left)before surgery, (Center)Post-op,(Right)most recent pic
And yet, they didn't stop there. They have also embarked on another mission.

Together with other parents and other concerned individuals, they founded a non-profit organization, Let it ECHO.The foundation's aim is to empower other families with their success stories and to raise awareness on congenital heart defect (CHD).

They've also launched Adopt-A-Heart program which encourages people to share their blessings to their little heart warriors. To know more about the program, click here.

For all Sundays of September, Let it ECHO will hold garage sales in order to raise funds for different beneficiaries. On their first weekend sale, they were  able to raise Php2,145 for a young girl named Apple. The amount might be small, but it is a good start. Hopefully, the foundation will raise more funds in the next weeks.

Now, if I were filthy rich, I would put up a foundation that's sustainable so that children who are sick can receive the medical attention they need. Unfortunately, I am not rich - and not willing to be filthy! I'll just have to find other  ways to help.

If you are based in Cebu, and you have nothing to do tomorrow, why not drop by The Outpost in Lahug? The event will start at 4PM and end at around 9PM.

To have an idea on what items are for sale, you may view their album.

No budget? Not interested to buy? Perhaps, you would like to donate your old items (clothes, accessories, food, that perfume you got last Christmas that you didn't like). They'd be happy to accept those. For the little heart warriors, every peso counts.

But wait, there's more.

I will be hosting an online garage sale for this month and ALL proceeds will go to the foundation. I will gladly let go of my book collection. Actually, the books are begging to be disposed - haven't read them since I gave birth. Priorities, baby!

So book lovers, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...